Monday, November 16, 2009

A Realization...


I began my week the best possible way. I met one of my best friends for a beautiful hike on the shores of San Francisco Bay. We laughed, talked, shared and made a point to thank the Universe for this incredible place and for guiding our lives here.

After we had hiked for about 45 mins, my right leg started going numb, heavy and dragging. I tried ignoring it, as I have the last several times I've done this hike. But for some reason today, I couldn't just ignore it and pretend. Why? Not sure. Maybe cos I'm done pretending? Done bullshitting myself and those around me that everything is hunky dory all the time. Cos now I'm living my truth. And my truth is that sometimes, I have to stop and rest. So shoot me. My body's not completely perfect, but screw that, it's my body. And if you love me, then deal with it. Or piss off. Sorry if that sounds harsh...

So, my friend and I sat down. I manually lifted my right let onto the bench and the tears began. I cried and cried. And cried some more. I began tumbling into that place of sadness and place of projecting thoughts into the future...what will happen in 5-10-20 years?

My friend sat with me, massaging my leg, allowing me to cry. She held the space for me to release and be sad and be with the realization, that maybe I'm not going to get to hike the Himalayas...damn, not really hike Mt. Tam anymore. She held the space with such love, that I came round to thinking that maybe I will hike the Himalayas, I'll just do it slowly, with lots of breaks to drink in the incredible views. And, maybe us having to go more slowly will bring more peace and beauty to the guide and those with me on that adventure? Maybe that will bring them more joy. What would it be like to slow down and rest every now and then?

When my mind had settled and I'd exhausted my tears, using the table to help me stand, we slowly walked back towards the car. She walked on my right so I could hold onto her when I felt weak. She stopped for a bathroom break and instead of standing around waiting for her, I took the opportunity to rest again. I took the opportunity to be my own teacher.

This is the exercise I practiced:

SEATED FORWARD BEND (calms the Central Nervous System, cools the brain)

Sit on a bench or chair and place the feet hip distance under the hips. Sit tall and lengthen the spine up towards the sky. Breath very deeply down into the bottom of the lungs for three rounds of breath. On the last round, exhale and bending from the hips, fold down over the knees, allow the spine to hang and arms to rest either on the knees or rest on the ground. Stay here for several minutes, really giving the CNS time to regroup and relax.

Thank you Suz for taking care of me. You're an angel.

xoxoxoxo


4 comments:

  1. Babe, I am crying with you now. One thing for sure, you are showing me how to deal with pain and the unexpected with immense grace. I don't know how it is to be in your shoes, thinking about the next 5-10-20 years, but I hope we will all be on your side, walking slowly up the Himalayas, taking lost of breaks, and laughing our a*% off. XOX to you too, and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my darling Jane! I'm sending you loads and loads of love right now, and I'm so very, very glad you've got good friends around you who can be with you to share both the beauty and amazing views of Mt. Tam, as well as the quiet and rest that we all need sometimes.

    Thank you Suz for taking care of our Janey-Jane, and thank you Jane for sharing this.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wish: that you and I could be honest with one another about these times. I know it's not the physical discomfort of a numb foot, imbalance or fatigue...it's the reminder of what these symptoms mean to us now and in the future. When we talk, I promise you I will never see it as a rant or a "whinging and moaning" fest...if you promise me the same. Sending you a calming ripple of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The future doesn't matter right now. What's important is that you have a beautiful present - and right here, right now, you do! The love you share will come back to you tenfold and will keep you strong on that s l o w walk up the Himalayas. Sending my love for today across the pond. xxx

    ReplyDelete